Tuesday, 15 July 2014

A Friend's Hideout


A Friend's Hideout

I could have been a disturbance to his peace, but he welcome me anyway.
I couldn't help it anyway, when I heard where he lived. He pick me up at night, had dinner and then brought me to see his house. It was a dream!!!... (in architect's way).

A few days later , I drove there myself.
It was near Kota Kinabalu, in fact, closer to the airport. The access into the kampung is a typical messy , dirty, and narrow passages. Familiar bridges and decking crossing over muddy dirt brought me to confuse looking house frontage.


 The house is actually a jetty, or personal boat house.


With minimum security element or absence of  it, one can only imagine that this is only a place for single male. Inside, the place is actually almost a mere deck. Only about 40% of wall visible, the rest were transparent shades or no wall at all.
Cracking timber planks with gaps wide enough for my finger greeted my steps.

 You can peek through into the toilet, easily.

 You can enjoy the view while doing your business easily too!.

 Bedroom is equally transparent.



 Where there is a gap or no wall, we can call it a window.
This was actually a luxury, in many senses:
If you were insecure, you cannot afford this. If you got wife, and sexually active also, would have been too liberal in many sense.
If you got small crawling stage children , even worse.
Nevertheless, he got that freedom (for a few brief years), and that was more than most of my architect friends can afford to enjoy so far, in my opinion of course.


 It could have been a kitchen, but I saw dining room actually, with a view, or full of it.

 Breezy

 Can only do this a few years throughout your whole life.

 Parking space.

 Imagine what you can observe with binoculars, better still, a camera.

 With a space like this, a living room came naturally.
Still, like I mention earlier, this is a luxury we can't afford, for the obvious reasons:

Partner/s
Kids
Security
Aging parents
Geography (distance to work)

However, I still believe that some people are that lucky. And to be surrounded by the real live poverty living , is a valuable experience in itself.





No comments:

Post a Comment